How we fulfill our mission
We at Walker Methodist are guided by principles given to us by our Methodist founders. Our common roots, beliefs and practices hold that all persons are equally valuable in the light of God. Faith always includes a nurturing, social dimension.
Our chaplains provide support and services to all, regardless of their religious, non-religious or spiritual path. We do this as a way of nurturing the whole person in body, mind and spirit, with the understanding that the three are interwoven.
Director of Spiritual Life & Enrichment
We provide many opportunities for spiritual life and enrichment at each of our housing communities and in each Health Center care neighborhood, including:
- Worship services, which are broadly Christian and created for the unique needs of each group.
- On the Bryant Avenue, Minneapolis, campus the chapel is physically situated at the center of the community. In the presence of stained glass, a pipe organ and grand piano, and seasonal altar décor, the community gathers each Sunday morning for a service of music, preaching, monthly Holy Communion, and monthly Memorial Service. All Christian holidays are celebrated with additional worship services. Roman Catholic Communion is offered monthly, an anointing mass twice a year, and Catholic Eucharistic ministers visit weekly for individual communion. Area Catholic churches provide uniquely Catholic support at other housing sites.
- Chaplains on site. Available to all for one-to-one or family support visits related to transition, loss, grief, illness, emotional distress, loneliness, search for meaning, purpose, and inner peace. Chaplaincy support is also offered to staff.
- Helping to contact an individual’s home church/ synagogue/ temple/ spiritual community, upon request
- End of life care and support. Walker Methodist’s unique Passages and Dignity Quilt programs provide comfort to the dying, their family, and caregivers.
- Prayer Circles. Held to support staff members who are experiencing a personal or family crisis.
- Labyrinth at our Bryant Ave. Campus. Our chapel has an inlaid labyrinth for anyone who wishes to walk their journey.
with an Auxiliary group and team of dedicated volunteers who support other spiritual activities including parties, holiday gift giving, companionship, chapel escorts, fundraising, advocacy, and more.
OUR METHODIST HERITAGE
Our historic connection with the Methodist church began in 1945 when the Methodist Home, operated by the Norwegian-Danish Conference, and the Harriet Walker Maternity Hospital merged to become Walker Methodist. At all our communities, Walker Methodist is led by the power of the Christian spirit, and in particular, in accordance with the concepts of the general ministry of all believers. Walker Methodist is deemed by the United Methodist Conference as an “Advanced Special Giving Mission”, a place where the Methodist Church can fulfill its own mission for caring for seniors.
A person’s spirituality is a deep, inner resource from which to draw from, especially during times of challenge and transition. With our prayer circles, you dont have to go though it alone.
YOUR SAFE PLACE
Spiritual care assists residents in tapping into what gives them meaning, including religious beliefs and practices – but is not limited to this. A person’s spirituality is a deep, inner resource from which to draw from, especially during times of challenge and transition. Spiritual care can offer a sense of calm, hope, and healing to older adults. Chaplaincy programs allow the expression of grief and loss and create a safe place for feelings to be released.